Saturday 20 January 2018

An excessive use of mobile phones

Yesterday I was returning home from school by bus like any other day when I noticed something that caught my attention. In front of me there were two girls chatting on their phone. You could think that it is something really normal that everybody does- and that’s true-, but what surprised me was that they didn´t look away from their phones even once, like they were hypnotized. Then, I looked at the other people who were on the bus and I shocked myself finding that everybody was with their phone, anyone was talking face to face like people used to.

I don’t know why, but looking at that scene made me feel very uncomfortable and very hopeless about the actual society, I just felt like I was living in a ‘Black mirror’ episode and I hadn’t even realized. It is something that we see every day, everywhere we go we see someone with his mobile phone, not looking around, not paying attention to the real world. It is a scene so much common nowadays that we don’t usually think about what it really means. But in that moment, I wondered what was going on, how did we get to this, when did we lose the connection to the real world to be always abstracted in our mobile phones. Because truly, when we just pay attention to what someone is telling us on WhatsApp or what photo has someone uploaded to Instagram, we are losing everything the world is giving us, we are just stuck in an unreal world.

Nowadays, people spend so much time on their phones and they are such an important part in their lives that I can’t even believe it. I bet that if a hundred years ago someone would have said that everyone’s lives will revolve around little gadgets, people would have thought he was insane. And today we can’t even figure a life without our mobile phone.


I don’t mean that you shouldn’t use your mobile phone anymore, I will continue using mine. I just want you to know that there’s a whole world outside, there are plenty of things you can do and see, just don’t miss them for being abstracted all the time on your phone, because in the end it is just a fictional world.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. Technology has become something essential in our lives. It is becoming a drug, nowadays there are thousand of people that can´t stay away of their phones, they just go crazy if they aren't typing or "instagramming". Mobile phones can be really useful instruments, but they get dangerous when they are used in excess.
    P.D. I really like your entry, your writing is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some sympathy with your entry:
    In the one hand, I really agree with the problems that the mobile phone could take and the alienation of the people; but, in the other hand, if the fictional world give more happiness than the real world, shut themselves isn´t bad.
    In any case, your entry is really good: The topic is present-day and your writing get my attention from the beggining.
    Thank you for sharing with us your thoughts! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How right!
    Even I use my mobile phone every day, I totally agree with you...

    Technology has suffered a huge revolution in the past two tecades, and I think we aren't prepared to manage it. Mobile phond should be mostly used to bring the people together when necessary, but instead of that, they are making the world more and more autistic, and that is really sad.

    Even you talk about the metro, we could bring that situation to may situations of everyday life.

    In my opinon, when we look to the real world, we will start to live in real life.

    Greetings! ;)

    Alejandro Sánchez Molina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you in this issue. Some time ago I was returning home and I saw two kids with their phones. But that´s not what surprised me. The fact is that they are about 13 years old, or younger, and, instead of talking to each other, they were talking by WhatsApp, and they were next to each other! Mobile phone´s addiction is a problem that affects kids increasingly younger.
    However, technology have a lot of advanteges, but we don´t know how to use them.

    Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete

Sightseeing in Oslo

Last week I went to Norway with other mates from my school because we joined an exchange with another school there, so each one of us ha...