Tuesday 16 January 2018

The vegetarian hypocrite






Yesterday, I met a girl that was a vegetarian. After talking with her a bit about vegetarianism, I asked her why was she a vegetarian. She answered that apart from being a really healthy diet, she doesn't feel comfortable about eating animals because they are also living things and they deserve respect, they can feel pain and the way they are treated and killed wasn't right to her. After that I asked her if she didn't think that plants are also living beings and that by the rule she is using she is being an speciesist too. She explained to me that plants didn't feel pain so that it is okay for us to eat plants. Another argument she used in favor of vegetarianism was that it was better for the environment because they didn't need to feed all those animals.



After that conversation I kept thinking about what she said and there is where my research started. Firstly, I did research on plants and If they feel pain or not, I found a few articles talking about this issue, the articles said that it is not demonstrated that plants can feel pain but what is demonstrated it's that plants have perception and they can react to their environment, plants can even react to music.



Another thing I thought about is if vegetarianism was really as good for the environment as she said, Claudio Benedetti a naturalist claims that eating more plants leads to a need to use more pesticides so that there is a bigger amount of vegetables to sell. Claudio Benedetti also arguments that for crops to be safe there are lots of wild animals are killed just because they are dangerous for the crops, that is specism too.



To conclude, in my opinion being a vegetarian is a good way to protest against animal sufering and specism but before making this type of decisions you have to inform from both sides so that you have a bigger view about the issue and you don't make a decision based on what you heard or what you read in the first google link.



Lucía Marcos Reviriego





3 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like a really interesting experience talking to a "first hand" vegetarian. I love how you did some research into the topic before making up your mind about vegetarianism. I agree with your conclusion about how it´s a good way to make a reivindicative statement. Furthermore, looking up both parts of the argument and doing some deep research into it is clearly necessary before making a beautiful conclusion as you´ve just showed us here.
    I would just like to add that animals are usually force-fed lots of chemicals in order for their meat to taste better, or them to grow quicker. These substances can be harmful for humans in the long term, specially if the meat we eat comes from farms which are less regulated by the government (where animals are injected growth hormones in order to eventually kill them at the end of the week)
    Anyway, thank you for sharing your experience with vegetarianism with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I was surfing the Internet searching a neutral point of view of vegetarianism and I found this great article. Congratulations! You have gone out of the polarisation of the ideologies about this topic.
    All the arguments are good and differents; and also have investigations and references; but I think they are not deep, Do you know? May be you should the next time focus the blog entry in only one argument and develop this.
    In any case, I think it´s a excellent blog which helps me to decide what to do.
    Thanks.
    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its really nice! I like the way you used different arguments and your research work is very complete.

    ReplyDelete

Sightseeing in Oslo

Last week I went to Norway with other mates from my school because we joined an exchange with another school there, so each one of us ha...