Friday 19 January 2018

A little more than useless

I can´t exactly remember the day when I listened to Relient K for the first time. However, I do remember when a slightly younger Laia, 4 years ago, started listening to their music. I think that coming across “Lost Boy” from their album “Collapsible lung” changed my life. I immediately fell in love with this Ohio based band and their songs.

I kept listening to their various albums, but never actually researched the history or background of the band. It wasn’t until last year when I decided to investigate and learn a bit more about the members of what had become my favourite ensemble.  

It all started back in 1998 when Matt Thiessen, Matt Hoopes and Brian Pittman (who ended up leaving) set up this group while they were still at “uni”. They named their alternative rock band after the car Plymouth Reliant K car, however due to copyright reasons they ended up calling it Relient K- which they then wrote a song about. Up until now they’ve released 11 albums and several EP´s and singles. But after listening to almost all their songs my favourites are, without doubt, “The lining is silver” and “Look on up”. I´ll leave the link down below so make sure you check them out!!

This is the cover of their latest album (2016)
I find really interesting how their songs are full of meaning and metaphors. The band has an added depth in terms of symbolism in their music (this is my favourite bit): They are classified as a Christian rock band. However, most of their songs don´t mention religion as such but the values they talk about can be both interpreted by “religious views” and “non-religious” ones. Often, the fact that a band is classified as religious makes us back out a bit and choose not to listen to them. However, I´d like to invite you to not “judge a book by its cover” or in this case, “don´t judge a band by its genre”.

Whether it´s because of their Christian background, or their sense of ethical and environmental responsibility, they have taken part in several projects fighting against climate change. Furthermore, they´ve starred an educational drug prevention film called “Natural high 4” in order to provide advice and motivate young adults to be the best they can be. They also get involved in their local community projects.

Overall, I find their music really motivating when I’m feeling low. They somehow express exactly how I’m feeling and they encourage me to get over my problems and move on because nothing is permanent. They are a constant reminder that we are not alone, that life goes on and that we must have a positive attitude towards it. They’ve helped me a lot throughout the years and I think that even if they´re not very famous, everyone should give this small group a chance (I personally think they are amazing)

That´s all for today, please let me know in the comments what you think about them- I hope you lovely people enjoy these guys as much as I do!!
And remember, spread positivity!!!

Laia Castella 

Also here you have the link to the other songs I’ve mentioned throughout;
More than useless (as the title of today´s entry): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXdDNBQ9bJU
Finally here you have the link to their film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRW_-dDKnkU

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the fact that music can help us to overcome in pretty bad situations, and if you find comforting those songs it doesn't matter if they are identified as a Christian band, that is just a tag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, thanks for sharing this as it is something so personal. I just want to say two things:

    It's curious what you say about this band being tagged as christian because it happens many times that we judge singers for their background or what it is said about them instead of for their music. I understand your feeling because it has also happened to me. Anyway, I think you should listen to the music you like without takin into account (not to much at least) other things.

    I completely agree with you that music makes you feel better when you're going through rough moments. I don't really understand why but I keep using music to cheer me up and I recommend everyone to do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete

Sightseeing in Oslo

Last week I went to Norway with other mates from my school because we joined an exchange with another school there, so each one of us ha...