Sunday 21 January 2018

Carpe Diem nowadays

A week ago, after having had lunch with my family I spent a while watching a french comedy which title I don't remember. The film was  about a man that was only concerned about enjoying life and having fun. He didn't payed so much attention to his job or his phisical appearance. He just did what he needed to survive and have fun.

It made me remember of the topic Carpe Diem, which basically means this, seize the day. And this thought took me to one of the best adaptations (in my opinion) of this topic: the film "Dead Poets Society". It is about a group of students from a high level high school that come across a literature teacher that shows them a completeley new world where they can enjoy their lifes not being focused only on their subjects or on their parents.

This may all seem meaningless but I think it's much more complex than what we tend to think. Nowadays, it's quite difficult to reach the Carpe Diem, that status where the only thing you care about is enjoying what you do. There are so many obligations and problems we could spend all day thinking about that drive us away from enjoying our lifes.

Furthermore, those obligations may not be imposed by someone else but they are usually self-made. We create a model of ourselves that represents all what we want to do and all what we want to be and the only thing we try is to be like this model of ours. In consequence, we tend to get obsessed about this and we don't pay enough attention to what's really important.

To conclude, I just want to say that of course I don't have any solution for this as I keep working on it myself. My only target was to share this thought with you as I think some of us may have experienced it as well.

2 comments:

  1. It is very true that Carpe Diem is nowadays understood as "do what you want whenever you want", but I also think that there must be some limits. It is true that you have to do what makes you happy, but also an important part of it is taking care of yourself and people you love. If you really care about something or someone you will be concerned about that person or thing. The important thing in my opinion is to find a balance so that you do not get obsessed about something, but at the same time you do what you like to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you, David. Nowadays there are lots of things that keep us faraway from this happiness. To enjoy our lifes have nothing to do with money, working or studying. It is true that we need to survive, but I think that we are overlapping our own happiness. So, if I were you I'll keep going with that search of the "Carpe Diem" in yourself, because it's a very important and unknown part of our lifes.

    ReplyDelete

Sightseeing in Oslo

Last week I went to Norway with other mates from my school because we joined an exchange with another school there, so each one of us ha...